Energy Experts Offer Zero Energy Green Home Webinar Series

The University of Central Florida’s Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) will now offer a 12-course Webinar series on how to design, build and operate a Zero Energy Home — a home that produces as much energy as it uses.

This series of online courses offers practical education from building science experts with more than 30 years of research and experience. These courses are appropriate for architects, builders, contractors, designers, educators, energy auditors, energy raters, engineers, prospective homebuyers and utility representatives.

During these tough economic times, builders are looking for ways to attract home buyers and the new government administration is concentrating on creating “green jobs.”  Zero Energy Homes provide an opportunity to accomplish both and save consumers money while reducing their carbon footprint. These courses will show participants how to maximize energy-efficient design, make the best “green” choices, and optimize performance from solar and home energy management systems.

12-Course Webinar Series Begins June 3
The 12-course Webinar series begins June 3, 2009.

“We’re excited to offer online courses so we can reach a larger audience,” said Rob Vieira, Buildings Research director at Florida Solar Energy Center. “A unique feature of our Webinars is that most courses will include a video case study, showing the successful implementation of green building strategies – from design to occupancy,” added Vieira.

FSEC will offer two online courses each month, beginning on June 3. Participants who attend 10 of the Webinars and pass a quiz will receive a Certificate for Zero Energy Home Building. The complete list of courses offered in 2009 include:

1. Defining a Zero Energy Green Home – June 3
  2. Designing a Zero Energy Green Home – June 17
  3. Highly Efficient Water Heating Choices – July 1
  4. Selecting Solar Water Heating for Zero Energy Green Homes – July 15
  5. Selecting Windows and Walls for a Zero Energy Green Home – August 5
  6. Constructing Roofs and Attics for a Zero Energy Green Home – August 19
  7. HVAC Systems for Zero Energy Green Homes – September 2
  8. Selecting Appliances and Plug Loads for a Zero Energy Green Home – September 16
  9. Sizing and Selecting Solar Electric Systems for a Zero Energy Green Home – October 7
  10. Using Your Home Solar Electric System for Emergency Power – October 21
  11. Installation Considerations for Solar Electric Systems – November 4
  12. Monitoring and Operating the Zero Energy Green Home – November 18

For more details about the courses and to register, visit www.floridaenergycenter.org/go/zero

11 thoughts on “Energy Experts Offer Zero Energy Green Home Webinar Series

• June 6, 2009 at 3:50 pm
    Permalink

I am interested in the Zero Energy Green Home Webinar Series, but have just learned about it. Could you give me move information? How much can be done online and how often do I have to attend a session at your center?

Do I take the courses online and then come in for the test?

Thank you so very much.

Liz Alexander

• June 9, 2009 at 5:43 pm
    Permalink

I have been talking for years about building a net-zero energy house. I have a lot in a subdivision in St. Marks where I would like to use the construction of this house as a model during the process and for a year after the process.

I have worried about finding a builder who is on the same page as I am. I’ve read a lot and been involved in energy efficiency efforts for many years and been involved in planning 3 Sustainable Big Bend Green Living Expos.

Are there any builders/contractors in the Tallahassee/Crawfordville area who have registered for the webinar? If so, I’ll make a sincere effort to be involved in all the remaining sessions.

I know each session begins at 1:00. How long will each last? Are there textbooks and/or articles associated with each webinar for follow-up activities.

I am a retired educational administrator and my desire would be to incorporate educational events as well as videos and open houses throughout the construction as well as for information after completion.

• July 9, 2009 at 8:23 am
    Permalink

Great opportunity for those who wanted to learn more about solar energy and the like, and doesnt have the time and unable to go to school.

This online courses gives more chances for us to acquire more knowledge about Zero Energy Green Homes. Many would be encouraged to register here.

I would be very willing to take the course.

Thank you and more power.

• July 25, 2009 at 8:36 pm
    Permalink

WOW, THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY THOSE OF US WHO HAVE BEEN CLAMOURING FOR A GREENER SOCIETY.

I AM A BUILDER AND I WILL WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN STILL BE A PART OF THE ZERO ENERGY GREEN HOME WEBINAR SERIES AS I WOULD LIKE TO PRACTICALISE THE KNOWLEDGE GAINED IN MY COUNTRY, NIGERIA.

THANK YOU.

DAMOLA OYETUNJI

• August 19, 2009 at 7:14 am
    Permalink

These “green energy” programs are expensive for people who live paycheck to paycheck because of the high cost of living and bills. This is a scam which makes it seems like it’s easy to get on board being green by just going to the bank and asking for a loan or refinance. These programs are empty and definately not cheap and only higher income wealthy people will benefit from these programs. Green programs are environmental Ponzi schemes and a version of social extortion. Why is that very few poor neighborhoods or working class families have benefitted from these programs? Well when you see that a “Solar” powered system initially costs you about $20k where is the average homeowner suppose to comeup with that type of money, much less qualify for a loan in these ecomonic times? You want inner city neighborhoods to be more energy efficient? How is someone who works a retail job or two jobs to support themselves or their families suppose to afford these changes. You guys suck.

• August 24, 2009 at 9:12 pm
    Permalink

I would liek to take a green energy course but I cant find any good ones they are all expensive and i dn tknow if i can trust them

• September 11, 2009 at 7:23 pm
    Permalink

This looks like a fantastic opportunity for folks who want to go green, but don’t know where to start. Thanks for leading me to the webinar.

• September 17, 2009 at 3:11 pm
    Permalink

This is a great idea to offer because this is something that will be a huge issue in the near future. Making sure that your home or business is running efficiently and saving energy will help in many ways to the environment and to your energy bills.

• October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm
    Permalink

How about making this program available as a DVD set for the same price so we can study a home at our own pace and have the material for review as needed?

• December 28, 2009 at 8:20 am
    Permalink

I am an Energy Assessor and have found your article really fantastic.

What I do is I assess the energy requirements for a domestic as well as a commercial property. This is becoming a legal requirement in Europe.

I also help people reduce their energy bills by helping them find an alternate supplier.

What you have mentioned is something that is currently outside my capabilities. But I would like to hear more.

Regards,

Ian.